As part of our efforts to promote media ethics and monitor hate speech and discriminatory language in Albanian media, we conducted a 3-month long monitoring campaign, focusing on Gender issues and women participation in prime-time tv shows.
There were chosen three prime-time TV-Shows: Top Show, Xing with Ermal and Real Story, respectively in Top Channel, TV Klan and Vizion Plus.
All of these TV-shows are directed by men moderators. In one of them, there is a female co-moderator, who has a peripheric function.
The monitoring took place during the period of April-June 2019.
In this study, from the abovementioned TV Shows, there are analyzed 26 series of them in total.
Before the monitoring process started, in this project were engaged 3 monitors who were familiar with the reporting format, during a short training session, they have analyzed one of the tv shows specifically, using this experience as a test for the upcoming monitoring process.
- Out of all monitored shows, there were only 33 women invited and 79 males.
- When it comes to the prime-time TV Shows on Albanian television, there is a significantly greater participation of men related to women.
- Women’s participation is greater just in those TV shows that are considered more “fun” or that discuss “social topics” (Xing me Ermalin and Top Show).
- There is a great lack of women’s participation in programs that are perceived to deal with issues
of great political and social interest.
- Out of 31 guests in the Real Story program, during the period of April-May, 2019, in total only 2 of the guests are women and 29 of them are men.
- The analysis identified a series of programs which contain in title the name of a man who is invited to the program (p.eg Erion Veliaj, Sandër Lleshaj, Fatmir Limaj, etc.). There is no case when a show holds a woman’s name as a title, even when she is invited to the program with a higher status than any other attendees.
The full report with all it’s findings, you can find it in the link below.